Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Stolen Sunday

In case you didn't already know there is a Robin Hood-esque blog out there, aptly named Sunday Stealing, where they go around stealing memes from the meme rich blogs to share with the meme poor blogs! Well, sort of anyway, cause the meme poor blogs actually have to do the stealing on their own... after all blog posts don't really write by themselves, do they?

Anyway, I was checking out their blog week ago and found this meme, which I thought I'd steal because it looked like fun.

Third Meme about Blogging

1. How did you come up with your blog title OR what does it mean?

There is a movie out there that goes by the title Unfinished Business. I've never watched it, nor do I really know what it is about, but titles tend to stick in your head at times, so I used it. However, the reason it's used here is due to the fact that writing is my unfinished business. Another thing I ought to mention is that this particular blog had a different name originally for a very different purpose.

2. What are your general goals for blogging?

There are none. It is just a hobby.

3. Do people “in your real life” know that you blog and do they comment on your blog OR is it largely anonymous?
How often do you post (x per week)?

I think there may be about 4 people whom I've met in person before who I voluntarily gave the URL to. Two of them are in my blogroll and occasionally drop a comment here and there. The other two are my cousins. My sister found me by accident recently though, and so did one of my recent Sarawak travel buddies... so I suppose that makes me largely anonymous, although over the years I have actually made several friends in the blogging fraternity over a hugely popular networking site. And I'd like to meet them in person someday...

Posts are posted anywhere between once a week to almost everyday depending on the situation at hand.

4. How often do you read other blogs (x per week)?

I read those on my blogroll whenever they're updated. The cool new blogroll feature sees to that. As for some other blogs which are I've bookmarked/added to google reader - it depends on how often I go in there (as in bookmarks and google reader)

5. How do you select blogs to read (do you prefer blogs that focus on certain topics or do you choose by tone or…?)

It started with the next blog button, which led to several interesting blogs and then some website that called itself the bestest blog which had an enormous list of blogs, and another called a world of bloggers which also had a huge compilation of blogs from which I found some great reads - most of which I read till today. I have a slight preference for personal blogs because people's stories are often more interesting and you sort of relate to it better, although specific blogs such as food blogs and political blogs also have some form of attraction. For Malaysian blogs, I occasionally trawl Project Petaling Street.

6. Do you have any plans to copy your blog entries in any other format, 0r do you think that one day, you’ll just delete it all?

Ha! Ha! Funny that... In fact this is what this blog originally was. But no... at the moment I shall not be doing any backing up unless I decide to take a break for 6 months or more (and that is also because I used to hear of people who have had their blogs 'stolen' from right under their noses) If someday I'm too embarrassed about this blog, I may just 'hide' it, but deletion is not an option.

7. What are the things you like best about blogging?

I don't really know.. I just gave it a try out of a sudden back in 2005 because I had so many stories to tell and I keet doing it. Maybe it's the fact that there is something to do that keeps me blogging, and of course the people I got to know along the way and making friends from all the different cultures I wouldn't have made otherwise :)

8. What are the things you don’t like about blogging?

None that I can think of at the moment

9. How do you handle comments?

I try my best to answer to all comments unless I miss them (which happens sometimes if comments are posted into much older blog posts) Since my posts are usually non-controversial and non- confrontational, I have never really found the need to defend myself or others against abuse and attack. In the initial days, I did innocently reply to a spam comment as well.

10. Do you have any burning thoughts to share on blog etiquette?

I'm going to keep this for the future!

11. Any desired blog features?

A portable blog that can type on it's own while I dictate my thoughts?

12. Have you suffered blog addiction?

What do you think? ;P

11 comments:

  1. Reply to spam? Wow!!!

    Once I remember, I mailed a friend and you know, at the bottom of the mail, yahoo used to add a line...

    Do you yahoo?

    The person replied my mail and also said that no, she doesn't have yahoo messenger. he he, I was bewildered initially coz. I didn't know whether I asked her about yahoo messenger...

    And ya, tell us what you think about blog ettiquite???

    Portable blog? Anyways you're writing daily posts... Do you want to make them hourly? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are people who actually want to steal meme's? LOL! They must really be insane ... just kidding :D

    This looks like a fun meme that I might just end up stealing it from you ... hehehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. On blogging ettiquette, I have decided it's rude to comment in a way that's unrelated to the post - I'm not being strict I just mean it should be a way of avoiding those people who just leave generic comments on blogs to increase their readership.

    I feel the same about never deleting mine - It's my only record of the things I get up to, and as my memory is becoming increasingly untrustworthy I need it! I may one day be embarrassed by it all and hide it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this stolen meme really lifted my spirits today! heehee I would like to have read more of your thoughts about blog etiquette and blog stealing....I'm glad I found your blog, by the way, and if you don't mind I'd like to link you on mine. If you do mind, don't be surprised if suddenly an Unfinished Business Part III shows up on the net!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rakesh: Yeah, I thanked it for visiting! Your friend's story is very funny though... a mistake anyone who's not used to using email much could make... and LOL! The Portable blog device thingy is because I get inspiration when I can't write, for instance when I'm driving, eating, etc... I wouldn't blog hourly even if I could! :)

    Nick: People will steal anything! Someone actually plagiarised someone's blog somewhere last year. Anyways, I would love to know about your thoughts on blogging :)

    Aunty: Oh yes... that Santos dude. I agree with you on that one... I feel the same way about this blog being a record of the stuff I did... sometimes when go back to the archives to look for something, and read an old post or two... I kind of think to myself... "I did that?" :)

    Mike: Maybe I would broach on those topics someday when I feel a serious post is needed. Oh, and you can link my blog... I'll be doing the same shortly :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Terra, I loved this meme. I just stole it from you. :p

    I had declared a blogging break but unexpectedly got half a day off today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I'm glad you took a break from your break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha so now you are one of the villagers that robin helps?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this meme. I may have to continue the stealing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to check out your answers when you do :)

    ReplyDelete

IT's THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Time for the Annual Appraisal again.  It's a cloudy Sunday afternoon, and I had just finished giving scores to my subordinates on their ...