Tuesday, January 09, 2007

YAHOO! MESSENGER (LATEST UPDATE): WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Regardless of how early or late I get to bed on Sunday nights, Monday mornings almost a always greet me with certain degree of unkindness. It's the time of the week that makes you realise that there's a quarter million things to do and there's not much time.

Sometimes, this realisation happens when you're watching Oprah Winfrey rubbing shoulders with the cool crowd on Sunday nights, but you somehow always manage to stash it (the thoughts) away...

As you sit in front of your desk, taking out files and papers and turning on your PC, you're greeted by a message from Yahoo! Messenger.

Without thinking much, or even reading the contents of the message, you just click the YES tab. Next thing you know, Yahoo! is busy updating your messenger to the latest edition. It's too late, you let it do its job while you prepare your stuff so that you can work efficiently once it hits 8 am.

The problem lies therein... updated, and marvellously spiffy looking, your messenger services start misbehaving... first it terminates itself without warning, then you find yourself unable to log in. Shutting down, restarting, and all the common cures don't change a thing. Everything that once moved in a smooth flow has now become a rough patch.

There was this time when there was a previous update, messenger refused to inform me of any new e-mails until it was restarted.

Now it looks that I may have to say adieu to messenger services for the time being. Anyway, as I'm typing this, a backup plan is being executed. We shall wait and see!

2 comments:

  1. I hate new versions of instant messengers. The new version of AIM is... confusing. Or maybe that's just because I haven't taken the time to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'm flashing back to my frustrations with updates recently - first a switch the Firefox browser, which wreaked havic with my blog and involved HOURS of alterations to fix old posts. Then Blogger beta, which mysteriously elected to toss out about half of my photos and forced me to re-upload them one at a time. All in the name of progress.

    ReplyDelete

IT's THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Time for the Annual Appraisal again.  It's a cloudy Sunday afternoon, and I had just finished giving scores to my subordinates on their ...