Tuesday, August 30, 2011

54 Years

On 31st August 1957, a small peninsula in South East Asia declared independence from the British. Today, the country is known as Malaysia, and besides the old peninsula, encompasses some parts of the island of Borneo as well. Over the past week, the radio station I listen to interviewed several people who lived through more tumultuous times such as the time during the communist insurgency, and the race riots of 1969. Hearing these people speak, you can actually hear their sense of pride being a Malaysian shine through your car radio speakers as you navigate the busy roads to reach your workplace on time. And this, sadly is something you'll never hear from the current generation who run off to greener pastures the moment they are given the opportunity.


Earlier on Monday, they were airing a series of documentaries regarding Malaysia on the history channel. One which I found particularly interesting is the one on Hidden Cities - because like it's name, the places were indeed sort of hidden. I suppose, all this exposure to history has made me feel all these undefinable feelings I'm having towards the country right now, and despite how much I despise the way it's being run today, deep down inside, there's this whole lot of hope, and pride and love for the country. 

Happy Independence Day!

(Scheduled post)

4 comments:

  1. Happy Independence Day Terra

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...despite how much I despise the way it's being run today, deep down inside, there's this whole lot of hope, and pride and love for the country."

    I think a lot of people feel this way about their country at some time or another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess they do. Kinda hating politics right now.

    ReplyDelete

IT's THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Time for the Annual Appraisal again.  It's a cloudy Sunday afternoon, and I had just finished giving scores to my subordinates on their ...