Sunday, November 14, 2021

IT's THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Time for the Annual Appraisal again. 

It's a cloudy Sunday afternoon, and I had just finished giving scores to my subordinates on their personal KPI performance for the year. It's the task I hate most, even more than figuring out what KPI's to assign in the first place. 

Why on a Sunday, though? Because it's supposed to be private and confidential, and despite the physical distancing at the office, there's just way too many distractions. So I dedicate a day on the weekend to review them and compile my results before the dreaded interview sessions. 

Now, while I think KPI's help you to focus on things you need to do, I also think they discourage people from doing other jobs that need to be done, but doesn't have impact on their KPI. You also cannot give a person too many KPI's because then nothing will get done. Then there's also adjusting expectations so that everyone in your department falls nicely into the bell curve. 

I've read articles before on why KPI and annual appraisals don't work. I also just find the whole exercise pointless, but this is the mechanism used to decide if someone gets a promotion, or a raise, etc. It's a simplified tool to check on how good someone is based on criterion that have been set without taking into account individuality

Ugh. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

IT's THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Time for the Annual Appraisal again.  It's a cloudy Sunday afternoon, and I had just finished giving scores to my subordinates on their ...