Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Road to Nowhere (Out of Kandy)

Continued from here



It is said that out there in this world (and maybe beyond) there are 6 other people who look somewhat like us. A doppelgänger of sorts. They may be of a different gender, or of a different nationality, but you might someday be walking on the streets of Taipei and think to yourself... "hey that person looks like (insert name of female friend here whom you're sure is back wherever you came from), but it's a he!"

My family met a not-so-favourite-uncle's doppelgänger in Sri Lanka. The similarity wasn't just physical. He even spoke like him, wore similar glasses my uncle would have used when he was in his late twenties while wooing my aunt (in the mid to late 80's) and bossed people around just like my uncle. The similarity was freaky but kind of hilarious at the same time (Come to think of it, I should have discreetly taken a video of this man and showed it to my uncle's kids just for laughs) 

Due to the rain (I'm so sorry, I know I sound like some mad raving lunatic complaining about the rain in every given post, but there's a reason) there was a landslide blocking our path out of the hotel. So after a wonderful breakfast of everything we trooped out to meet our guide when we were suddenly face to face with Mr. Doppelgänger, one of the hotel staff. He insisted that we shouldn't walk in the direction we were headed (we had made plans with our guide to meet at the lobby) as there was a landslide and we'll have to wait till they cleared it up. Will these string of weird happenings haunt us till the end?
Just my luck. The moment I wanted to take a picture of ppl cleaning up the rubble is the very moment our guide decides that he should step on the accelerator.

The road out of Kandy led us to a gem lapidary. I was glad that they had a little museum exhibit and a model of a mine where darkness enveloped you before they decided to try to sell some gems to you. I'm not that big on jewellery, but the rest of my family actually got themselves some stuff. Meanwhile, I was more interested in this....

Fossils!

 This was the last stop in Kandy. 


13 comments:

  1. Same thing with planets: there's so many solar systems, so many planets, there's bound to be repetition there! ie replicas of earth, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I never run into myself anywhere, that would just be scary, one of me is bad enough haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was younger, there was someone who everyone mistook for me. Most of my classmates have met her, but I never did.

      Delete
  3. I think I'd enjoy fossils but I still enjoy gems :) I wonder if there really are people out there who look like me. It would be weird to meet someone who looks exactly like someone I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is pretty weird - even worse is if they had similar mannerisms... that would be most unnerving.

      Delete
  4. I hope to meet my clone someday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'd really like to know how it goes. :)

      Delete
  5. There was a great TV programme about infinity on TV a while ago. It was so good I blogged about it.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qszch

    One of the things they attempted to prove - quite convincingly I thought - is that there are an infinite number of planets out there that are not only identical to Earth, but contain identical copies of everything that exists on Earth.

    http://kingofscurf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/infinity.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post - it does seem very possible, and it's a very exciting propect!

      Delete
    2. I just realised it's also on YouTube.

      If you accept the maths and the science, the universe is positively overrun with doppelgängers of your not-so-favourite-uncle.

      Delete
  6. "This was the last stop in Kandy" sounds like the ominous opening to a murder mystery.

    We were on vacation one year and my son announced that he'd seen his doppelganger while walking on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha... Alas, there were no murder mysteries to solve.

      Delete

IT's THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Time for the Annual Appraisal again.  It's a cloudy Sunday afternoon, and I had just finished giving scores to my subordinates on their ...